About the Program
The goal of the SFSU President’s Leadership Fellows Program is to provide students with tools and resources to assist them in their preparation and transition to job-readiness. Fellows learn skills including leadership, teamwork, personal branding, interview techniques, and networking. Fellows learn to recognize their competencies and how to apply them in meaningful and relevant ways.
Benefits of Becoming a Fellow:
- Gain skills and confidence to achieve a competitive edge with employers
- Build your network of new friendships and professional connections
- Learn to articulate your value when preparing for interviews
- Develop your interpersonal and teamwork abilities
- Enhance your problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Improve upon and learn effective communication skills
- Recognize how to utilize your skills to your advantage
- The Fellows Program is open to currently enrolled junior-level, and senior-level students in the College of Business, College of Ethnic Studies, College of Health and Social Sciences, College of Liberal and Creative Arts, and the College of Science and Engineering.
- Fellows are required to attend all scheduled sessions.
The Fellows Program began in fall 2014 with the generous support of the Eustace Kwan Family Foundation. The pilot program started in the College of Business with 25 students. The number of Fellows increased to 50 students in spring 2015, and to 100 students each semester thereafter. The success of the program resulted in additional support from the Eustace Kwan Family Foundation in December, 2016. With the full support of President Wong, and campus leadership, the program expanded to accept applications from students across five colleges.
There is no additional cost to students who are accepted to the Fellows Program.
How to Apply
Students will receive a fall 2017 Fellows announcement, with application instructions, in late August, 2017.
- Space is limited. Only consider applying if you are fully committed and available to attend every session. Absences are cause for dismissal from the program.
- Fellows will meet at the Holloway campus on select Wednesdays from 12:15pm to 1:45pm.
- Attire is business casual; e.g., slacks or khakis, dress shirt or blouse, skirt or dress, optional sport coat or blazer, optional tie.
150 applicants from the five colleges will be randomly selected and notified in mid-September of their acceptance to the program.
Contact Melanie Summers, Associate Director, Leadership Development: firstname.lastname@example.org.