President’s Leadership Fellows Program (PLFP)
About the ProgramThe goal of the SFSU President’s Leadership Fellows Program (PLFP) is to provide students with the ‘soft skills’ that national research has shown employers seek in job candidates. These skills complement the ‘hard skills’ one also needs to be competitive in today’s job market including resume and cover letter composition, interview skills, networking, etc. Students accepted to the PLFP take part in soft skills workshops focusing on leadership, teamwork, critical thinking, unconscious bias, emotional intelligence as well as sexual harassment in the workplace. Fellows learn to recognize their competencies and how to apply them in meaningful and relevant ways as they transition to job-readiness.
Benefits of Becoming a Fellow:
- Gain skills and confidence to achieve a competitive edge with employers
- Learn to articulate your value
- Develop your interpersonal and teamwork abilities
- Enhance your problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Improve upon and learn effective communication skills
- Recognize how to utilize your skills to your advantage
- Opportunity to network with peers, staff, and consultants
- The Fellows Program is open to currently enrolled junior-level, and senior-level students in the College of Business, College of Education, College of Ethnic Studies, College of Health and Social Sciences, College of Liberal and Creative Arts, and College of Science and Engineering.
- Attendance at all sessions is a strict requirement of the program.
How to applyTo apply to the Spring 2018 President’s Leadership Fellows Program, please click HERE.
- Space is limited. Only consider applying if you are fully committed and available to attend every session. Absences are cause for dismissal from the program.
- Fellows will meet at the Holloway campus on select Wednesdays from 12:15pm to 1:45pm.
- Attire is business casual; less formal than traditional business wear, but still intended to give a professional impression.
Selection200 applicants from across the 6 colleges will be randomly selected and notified of their acceptance by the first week of February, 2018.
Spring 2018 PLFP Schedule (attendance is taken at each session)2/21 – Orientation and Welcome Reception
2/28 – Emotional Intelligence
3/14 – Leadership Skills
3/28 – Unconscious Bias
4/11 – Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
4/18 – Certificate ceremony, and Closing Reception
BackgroundThe Fellows Program began in fall 2014 with the generous support of the Eustace Kwan Family Foundation. The pilot program started in the College of Business with 25 students. The number of Fellows accepted to the program increased to 50 students in spring 2015, and to 100 students each semester thereafter. The success of the program resulted in additional support from the Eustace Kwan Family Foundation in December, 2016. With the full support of President Wong, and campus leadership, the program expanded to accept 150 applicants from students across the six colleges. The President’s Leadership Fellows Program will accept 200 students in spring 2018, and 250 students in fall 2018.
CostThere is no additional cost to students who are accepted to the Fellows Program.
Questions?Contact Melanie Summers, Associate Director, Leadership Development: email@example.com.